Pages

Sunday 29 September 2013

Western Clash

Well painting progress has stalled a bit. I've done a good part of the next Skink/Krox batch, but probably won't find the time to finish them off until later this week.

I did manage to get in a bunch of games on Saturday though, as I went out to D6 Gaming in Melton for a mini tournament they were having. It was only 6 players, 4 of them Hampton regulars, but it was 4 games in the day so it was a bit of extra 'hammers than a normal saturday. 2000pts made for slightly smaller games, but I'm finding the lizards to be really flexible at shifting between points levels.

There was no comp, so my list was:
Slann: Death Magic, +1 ld banner, Soul of Stone, Triple Channel, Becalming Cogitations, MRd3, Channeling staff
Tetto'Eko
2 * Scar Veteran on Cold Ones
4* 10 Skink Skirmishers
30 Skinks and 3 Kroxigor
3 Terradons
Ancient Stegadon, Sharpened Horns
Salamander

So basically chaff, a Steg and 2 Scar Vets for a bit of punch, and a death magic party slann to wreck things.

Game 1: Watchtower vs Ben Rantell (Lizardmen)
I hadn't played the mirror match up before, and Ben had a much better list for watchtower. The key though was that he only had a lvl 2 (Tetto'eko as well) so I got to cast lots of spells. Death magic wasn't amazing in this game, although I did manage to purple sun off a scar vet. Ben didn't take the opportunity to put his horde of saurus into the watchtower in the early game which ended up costing him. I held them up with my steg and killed his BSB while doing so which meant I didn't lose any points and kept him out of the tower for a few turns. I snuck Tetto'eko and some skinks into the tower in the last turn, which boosted a minor win up to a 16-4.

Game 2: Meeting Engagement vs James Brett (Vampire Counts)
This game got interesting right from the start when after I had deployed James rolled a billion 1's (including on both his lvl 4's) which meant half his army didn't start on the table. Tetto'eko was great here as he could vanguard himself 12 inches before the game, and move 12 before the magic phase, which gave me an effective range of 48 inches on spirit leech. This cost James his terrorgheist in turn 1, as it has fuck all LD and James had no scroll or +4 to dispel.

The rest of the game was fairly even, I baited a unit of vargheists into the steg and killed them with Scar Vets, did the same thing with the other unit but lost a scar vet and the steg doing so. James passed some good 5+ ward saves with his characters which kept them alive from snipes, and the magic res on my slann stopped him sniping me back effectively. I killed off chaff, he killed off chaff, I won by about the value of the things i killed in the first turn.
12-8 Win

Game 3: Dawn Attack vs Ivan Diaz (Ogre Kingdoms)
I've played Ivan like a billion times, which is a lot given he's only been in the country for like 3 months. We have a pretty even record, and always have interesting games. I scared the crap out of him by Vanguarding a Scar Vet and a Stegadon at his army and then moving them up full distance in the first turn. He had two Ironblasters so I figured both were going to die anyway, may as well get them up in his grill and force him to deal with them. The scar vet ended up being dealt with by maneaters, the Steg survived being shot, killed an Ironblaster in combat (very very slowly, sharpened horns didn't do shit). Could have done it a bit quicker and killed the mournfang as well, but didn't. Ivan pressured my mages and skinks, got a few skirmisher units out of it but I kept the mages safe. Comet killed the other Ironblaster along with some Ironguts, Purple Sun (lots of fun) then went through them and sucked off the BSB along with a few others. Then the game ended in turn 4 because we ran out of time, which was disappointing as I wasn't going to lose any more points, and there were plenty to be gained.
10-10 Draw

Game 4: Battleline vs Ben Leopold (Warriors of Chaos)
Ben had my WoC from Convic, and just fanged a Daemon Prince straight at my Skrox with the Slann and Tetto'Eko in the unit. So I just walked past him into the building and started misfiring purple sun all over the place (2 misfires in the first two turns). Then I sniped off his Deamon Prince with a spirit leech, and killed his Knights with my Scar Vets. The Steg got wailed on by trolls, but then I shot them with a zillion poison shots for like 4 turns until they all fell over and stopped getting back up again. Suckers.
15-5 Win

List did what it does and didn't lose any games, Death Slann is pretty rude. Ivan ended up winning because he got 20 in the last round, won't happen again though. Lots of fun was had, got to test out the list a bit and I'm really starting to enjoy the lizards. They have potential, a shit ton of flexibility, and the models are cool. What more could you want.

Next update should come in a couple of days and will be Dueling Paintbrushes related. In short this is a little painting competition that we do each year in an effort to actually get stuff done. Should be fun, although I'm not hugely optimistic of getting enough stuff painted in the requisite time period...



No comments:

Post a Comment