Pages

Thursday 10 October 2013

Duelling Paintbrushes: Update 1

So for those interested I haven't really gone through what duelling paintbrushes is. Basically it is an inter blog painting competition that we run each year around this time of year in order to encourage ourselves to paint some figures. The basic premise is that each participant has to fully paint 1000pts of stuff in 1 month. Last year the 1000pts had to be legal war hammer army, made up of at least 25% core etc. I'm not sure if this is the case as the armies are going to be used at Warhammer World Series, so will ultimately just need to be a segment of the larger 1500pt list.

Either way I've made my 1000pts a legal force, which you can see below and I got painting right away! Then I stopped, and basically only started again last night. It is now the 11th of the month, meaning 11 of my precious 31 have slipped away already!

1 Scar Veteran on Cold One
1 Skink Priest
10 Skinks with a Kroxigor
2* 10 Skink Skirmishers - Javelins and Shields
1 Bastilodon
1 Stegadon
10 Temple Guard
1 Salamander Hunting Pack


Thankfully Greg over at The Hoodlings Hole has also false started a bit, as has the other Nick (Short Shorts and Paint Brushes), so I don't look too bad. Owen (Terrain for Hippos - beware Hippos! has done his usual thing of paint a billion figures every day, so no one really compares to him anyway. Freak.


So I tried to do a little bit of painting early in the week while I was watching TV with my girlfriend. Normally I don't have any problems painting while watching movies or the like, but I used to do it at a desk with something playing on the computer. Unfortunately sitting on a couch makes it really difficult to paint detail, so I didn't get much done and what I did do wasn't great. Last night I changed my tack, got out the biggest brush I own (disappointingly this was like a GW standard brush or something) and started base coating some of the larger models. This was a way better idea, and in not too long I had the first layer of purple done on a Stegadon, a Bastiladon and a Scar Veteran. Frustratingly assignments for uni distracted me from doing any more painting, but I'm hoping to do more tonight.

How exciting! 1 whole layer of paint!

The Bastilidon is really exciting me at the moment, I think if I do the large scales on its back well using the colour i do most of the scales in he is going to look really good. Although given the size I may need to mix a few extra stages of colour in so that the colour steps aren't as obvious. I contemplated doing a colour blend on every single scale, then realised how ridiculous that would be. Not sure I could finish that model in a month, let alone the rest of them.

I'm going to go out an buy a bigger brush as well, mainly because these big monsters are going to need some dry brushing, which really isn't possible with the equipment I have at the moment.

Alas it is time to do more uni work, if all goes well tonight there might even be an update tomorrow! Although I'll probably be busy playing warhammer, as I haven't had a game in almost 10 days and it is really getting to me.



2 comments:

  1. I'm assuming you were scared off by the hippos and didn't read all the details of DP3 - the 1000 points does not have to be legal, that's made plain in the rules. Also, it's not a competition because no one wins. There'd be little point because I paint at about twice the speed of everyone else, but you all paint better than me.
    Also, I'm going really slowly by my standards. According to my original calculations based on my normal painting rate, I should have my 1000 points finished today, and my 1500 done in another two. As it is, I've got 40 Gor painted and based, three minotaurs half painted, and nothing else.

    The Wrestler of Puddings - posting via his work account.

    ReplyDelete
  2. About 45 guys and 2 monsters. That is going to take some doing in 20 days. Good luck...

    ReplyDelete